Book & Product Reviews
How to Win Sales & Influence Spiders: Boosting Your Business & Buzz on the Web by Catherine Seda.
Catherine Seda followed her 2004 book “Search Engine Advertising” with another winner. Published in 2007, “How to Win Sales & Influence Spiders” offers marketers and business owners a great deal of non-technical information on how to make the most out of the online marketing options available and to give your online business and extra dose of energy.
This is not a technical book. The author calls it a tactical book for consultants, entrepreneurs, journalists, students and marketers. Aimed at people that want to take their online business into their own hands and get results fast. She says that results can be seen in 90 days, but also calls out early on that search engine optimization (SEO) is not a science. If anyone promises you top Google results you should run away. Fast.
This is a book that is easy to read for the beginner because of the decision to leave out the truly technical details. This book is also good for the experienced internet marketer that handles their own SEO. At least once in each chapter the experienced internet marketer will find a reminder of something forgotten. Points are emphasized in sections called insider insights, where 3 questions are answered by one of the authors clients.
The book gives a clear big picture overview of search engine marketing (SEM), SEO and tell you the difference between the two. In each chapter there is a 2 page success story with the challenges, strategy and results of one of her clients journey into SEO and SEM. These are very interesting because the mistakes that others made will not have to be made again.
The chapter on blogging clearly states some of the points that every client should know. For example, anyone can run a blog but not everyone should. There is a science of getting your blog seen when millions of blogs are already out there.
There are step-by-step instructions on how to build links to your site and explains the difference between ‘good’ and ‘bad’ online marketing. The good SEO is called white hat, the bad is black hat. Some of the challenges are given special attention in
Social media networking is a hot subject now, and Ms. Seda covers how to use it best. There is a strong connection between the social media’s we know, press coverage and online shopping communities.
Some people may find it hard to make an instant connection between the three, but online press releases are almost a type of social media, where you publish and hope that the publication is picked up by many users. Online shopping communities can be used as social media. She gives the example of a man that decided to sell his the ex-wife’s wedding dress. When she left, the dress was left in the attic. The owner posted a 500 word description, plus pictures of himself in the dress. The result was 17 million hits on the site, plus he was featured on major television shows. Imagine selling something a little different, and getting 17 million hits to your sales web site!
Every chapter ends with a “Tips to Remember” and the tip to remember from this post is to go out and buy How to Win Sales & Influence Spiders: Boosting Your Business & Buzz on the Web by Catherine Seda. Your internet marketing results will thank you.
Read more Book Reviews:
Communication For International Sales
Here are reviews of the books I have read recently to help me with communication for international sales:
- A Writer’s Guide To Powerful Paragraphs By Victor C. Pellegrino
- Content Rich By Jon Wuebben
- Get Content Get Customers by Joe Pulizzi & Newt Barrett
- Letting Go Of The Words – Writing Web Content That Works By Janice Redish
- Stories That Sell By Casey Hibbard
- The Culturally Customized Web Site By Nitish Singh And Arun Pereira
- The Magic Of Pre-Writing By Steven Osborne
- The Secret To Writing A Successful And Outstanding Blog By Liz Strauss
Here are reviews of the books I have read recently to help me with international sales:
- All of the Little Sales Books by Jeffrey Gitomer
- Asinine Advertising By Herschell Gordon Lewis
- Influencer: The Power To Change Anything by Kerry Patterson – Joseph Grenny – David Maxfield – Ron McMillian & Al Switzler
- Sales Strategy From The Inside Out By Duane Sparks
International Web Marketing
Here are reviews of the books I have read recently to help me with international web marketing:
- Bit Literacy Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload By Mark Hurst
- Dotcomology The Science Of Making Money Online By Stone Evans
- How The Internet Works By Preston Gralla
- How to Win Sales & Influence Spiders By Catherine Seda
- Landing Page Optimization By Tim Ash
- Mastering Online Marketing By Mitch Meyerson
- Multichannel Marketing By Akin Arikan
- Online Competitive Intelligence By Helen P. Burwell
- ProBlogger by Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett
- Stats Faceslap By Ed Rivis
- The Ultimate Web Marketing Strategy By Ed Rivis
- Website Optimization by Andrew B. King
Here are some Product Reviews:
- Ed Rivis’ Stats Faceslap
- Success Chef’s Marketing E.S.P.
- The Management Tools I Use For Content Created To Be Re-Packaged
- The Ultimate Desktop Copy Coach By Tony Flores
- Web Video University And International Marketing
All of the book and product reviews here are totally unsolicited… spontaneous …and without affiliate links. These are books I have read recently and only the ones that I share with friends. So all of the reviews you find here are on books and products that I highly recommend.
Also, as these are books and products that I have recently read since, this is not a list of my all-time favorite books. Hopefully I will get around to reviewing my favorite culture and international business books sometime soon.
Use these skills in your international tactics on the…
Get International Clients International Sales Road Map:
• Do you know how to communicate with different countries?
• Do you know how to pull all of your different international marketing pieces together?
• With culture customized content
• With trust and empathy
• With strong cross-cultural communication
• Do you feel at a loss with regards to dealing with international business?
Filed under: book reviews
If you've read this far, you should sign up to receive updates
Sign up for the International Stories newsletter, and prepare yourself to manage international business