Yesterday, I suggested using free classified ads through Fabrice Grinda‘s company OLX as a free international web marketing strategy. OLX is similar to Craigslist, except OLX is well established in over 90 countries and growing. Plus it is also more social media friendly.
Social Media Marketing Adapted To Local Cultures
One of the reasons this is good news for international marketers is because it is free way to reach international audiences. You can use the knowledge you have of different cultures and their preferred social media platforms within:
- An international market research strategy to enter new markets
- A international lead generation strategy based on information products and content marketing
The other reason lies deeper within OLX’s social media friendliness.
- As a cross-cultural marketer, when studying the cultural dimensions of different countries, I would be able to make a fairly educated guess where free classified ads may work best for specific marketing campaigns.
- This educated guess increases in accuracy when you have information on cultural social media preferences.
For example, many Latin American countries have high scores on the “Collectivism” scale. It is not really surprising then to learn that Facebook is so appealing to Spanish-speaking Americans.
Some cultures have a natural affinity to certain social media platforms.
American marketers research their Latin markets in depth, and this includes the monitoring of Latin preferences using social media. You can read more here.
- The research shows that Spanish-preferring Hispanics in the United States visit social networking sites more frequently than non-Hispanic whites.
- Another factor to note is that Facebook is also exploding in Spanish speaking countries.
In fact, it is not just Facebook in South America. There are also many local equivalents to Facebook and other similar social media platforms that are reaching very large audiences in these cultures. For example, the South American players include: Espacio Terra, Mi Página, MySpace Latino, Páginas Personales, QuePasa and Tu Mundo.
Culture Customized Multi-Channel Marketing
Now, let’s go back to free online classified ads with OLX.
- OLX is popular in most South American countries
- OLX has a Facebook interface and is web 2.0 friendly, this makes viral buzz possible
- Facebook is popular in most South American countries
When you look at this, it becomes clear that there is an opportunity for a free multichannel web marketing campaign targeting South Americans using social media platforms and a strong content marketing strategy. This opportunity is much more interesting now that Facebook also allows for language targeting, in addition to geography, sex, age, education level, workplace, relationship status and interests.
Without a solid business or marketing background this is not easy for everyone. I am not saying it is easy for all businesses either. But there is a free international web marketing opportunity here that many companies can take advantage of it they give it some thought. It is also an opportunity for marketers to show what they are capable of.
Photos from Shutterstock.
Filed under: cross cultural social media
If you've read this far, you should sign up to receive updates
Sign up for the International Stories newsletter, and prepare yourself to manage international business