Book & Product Reviews
First, three things:
- If you have an online business and truly want to market to international audience through your website, get this book.
- If you have an international profile and want to broaden your international outlook, get this book.
- If you are interested in different cultures and happen to own a computer, get this book
This is the book that got me excited about international internet marketing. It was also the first book I read by non-European authors who are obviously cultural experts. Since then I’ve more non-European cultural experts. And have come to the conclusion, the time when Europeans held the lead in cultural understanding is passing.
The Culturally Customized Web Site uses the Geert Hofstede cultural classifications to show and explain what works online in different cultures. The book is largely based on how these cultural classifications can be interpreted online.
Nitish Singh and Arun Pereira break cultures down into the following categories:
- Individualism – Collectivism
- Uncertainty Avoidance
- Power Distance
- Masculinity – Femininity
- High – Low Context
Nitish Singh and Arun Pereira give examples of websites. They also give readers 36 web features to use on your website to adapt to different cultures. These web features stimulates marketers looking for strategic international marketing options.
The book is full of screen shots, examples and lists. It is inspiring and thought provoking. Spend a few minutes surfing randomly online in the countries referred to as you read the book, and it becomes easy to see and feel the cultural differences.
“Research reveals that culturally customized web sites enhance usability, accessibility, time spent at a site, and site interactivity. Also, it increases purchase intention and attitude to the site.”
The Culturally Customized Website book has a… website. This website is not very big, but is entertaining in its cultural examples.
This book was published in 2005. Countries have evolved in how they use internet and in their e-commerce expansion.
I would love to see something more recent along the same lines but with examples that have evolved with the internet.
If anyone has anything similar to this book in their library, please let me know what it is.
Read more Book Reviews:
Communication For International Sales
Here are reviews of the books I have read recently to help me with communication for international sales:
- A Writer’s Guide To Powerful Paragraphs By Victor C. Pellegrino
- Content Rich By Jon Wuebben
- Get Content Get Customers by Joe Pulizzi & Newt Barrett
- Letting Go Of The Words – Writing Web Content That Works By Janice Redish
- Stories That Sell By Casey Hibbard
- The Culturally Customized Web Site By Nitish Singh And Arun Pereira
- The Magic Of Pre-Writing By Steven Osborne
- The Secret To Writing A Successful And Outstanding Blog By Liz Strauss
Here are reviews of the books I have read recently to help me with international sales:
- All of the Little Sales Books by Jeffrey Gitomer
- Asinine Advertising By Herschell Gordon Lewis
- Influencer: The Power To Change Anything by Kerry Patterson – Joseph Grenny – David Maxfield – Ron McMillian & Al Switzler
- Sales Strategy From The Inside Out By Duane Sparks
International Web Marketing
Here are reviews of the books I have read recently to help me with international web marketing:
- Bit Literacy Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload By Mark Hurst
- Dotcomology The Science Of Making Money Online By Stone Evans
- How The Internet Works By Preston Gralla
- How to Win Sales & Influence Spiders By Catherine Seda
- Landing Page Optimization By Tim Ash
- Mastering Online Marketing By Mitch Meyerson
- Multichannel Marketing By Akin Arikan
- Online Competitive Intelligence By Helen P. Burwell
- ProBlogger by Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett
- Stats Faceslap By Ed Rivis
- The Ultimate Web Marketing Strategy By Ed Rivis
- Website Optimization by Andrew B. King
Here are some Product Reviews:
- Ed Rivis’ Stats Faceslap
- Success Chef’s Marketing E.S.P.
- The Management Tools I Use For Content Created To Be Re-Packaged
- The Ultimate Desktop Copy Coach By Tony Flores
- Web Video University And International Marketing
All of the book and product reviews here are totally unsolicited… spontaneous …and without affiliate links. These are books I have read recently and only the ones that I share with friends. So all of the reviews you find here are on books and products that I highly recommend.
Also, as these are books and products that I have recently read since, this is not a list of my all-time favorite books. Hopefully I will get around to reviewing my favorite culture and international business books sometime soon.
Use these skills in your international tactics on the…
Get International Clients International Sales Road Map:
• Do you know how to communicate with different countries?
• Do you know how to pull all of your different international marketing pieces together?
• With culture customized content
• With trust and empathy
• With strong cross-cultural communication
• Do you feel at a loss with regards to dealing with international business?
Filed under: book reviews
If you've read this far, you should sign up to receive updates
Sign up for the International Stories newsletter, and prepare yourself to manage international business