Darren Rowse over at Problogger asked for readers to share a list of bloggers relevant to their industry. A few readers have already shared some good lists. I particularly liked reading the list of Translation and Localization bloggers. So I decided to share the list of bloggers I read to stay current.
UPDATE: Darren Rowse has now compiled a list of 47 Lists of Bloggers to Watch in 2010 – well worth looking at!
Cross-Cultural & International Bloggers
You need cross-cultural and international business skills in order to develop your business internationally. What’s interesting is that I find these same cross-cultural skills also help me in social media. Strong people skills are always useful.
No matter how strong these people skills are you still need to nurture them. And it’s also important to do this to stay competitive in today’s changing international business environment. This is why it’s a good idea to follow a variety of blogs to help maintain these skills.
Here is the list of bloggers with strong cross-cultural or international profiles that I like to follow.
- Some of these blogs are focused on personal relationships or travel. although this may seem to have little to do with international business, the truth is that you can often learn a lot by observing these different situations.
- Some of these blogs are very business focused, usually with a specific topic. And again, they often give insights into cultural barriers for international business.
- Some of the bloggers are new to international business and some are old pros.
This mixture works for me. Let me know what you think.
- Ad Sheik – this is a blog for advertisers who want to reach multicultural audiences
- All About Race – a blog on race in America to share, discuss, argue, learn, teach, laugh and understand
- All Things Workplace - Steve Roesler is an international management consultant and also blogs about topics with international insights
- American German Business Blog – Klaus & Flavia Westerwelle are Germans based in the US helping businesses go international
- Anastiasia Ashman – Furthering the Worldwide Cultural Conversation
- Asia Biz Blog - Rich Kuslan blogs on China business and law
- Bella’s Boliva Blog – a blog with trivia and news from the eastern region of Bolivia
- Career By Choice - Megan Fitzgerald blogs to help expatriates improve their careers
- Chanda Communications - Silvia Cambie blogs on cross-cultural connections
- Chinese & Chosen – An interactive report on the intersection of Chinese & Jewish in NYC
- Cross-Cultural Moments – Elizabeth Abbot’s blog on transforming international living into personal and professional progress
- Cultural Realms – Rossitza Ohridska blogs about cultural discovery, the business of cultural tourism, emerging destinations, internet strategies and world travel
- Culturally Teaching – Cate Brubaker share lots of cross-cultural insights here, not only for teaching or teachers
- Deborah Swallow – Deborah Swallow blogs on intercultural communication
- Dot Global – Joe Kutchera’s blog on marketing to Spanish-language consumers
- Family On Bikes - Between North & South Poles, a family biking and blogging from Alaska to Argentina
- Fluent In 3 Months – Benny Lewis’s blog of unconventional language learning tips as he travels the world
- From Power To Poverty – interesting blog by Duncan Green, Head of Research for Oxfam GB
- Fusion View - Yang-May Ooi’s blog on cross-cultural topics
- Global Business Perspectives – Beverly Cornell interviews people with international profiles
- Global Coach Center - Margarita Gokun Silver blogs about being a cross-cultural coach
- Global Voices – A vibrant global community of more than 150 active volunteer authors and translators and more than 20 freelance part- time regional and language editors
- globalEDGE International Business Blog - to keep current on international business and global trade
- Gori Girl – A blog on interracial relationships and advice by a white girl with an Indian husband
- Intercultural Eyes – Bettina Hansel’s blog with a geographic & interculturalist perspective
- Intercultural Talk – The blog where Deanna Shoss teaches us to engage & delight in cultural differences
- International Higher Education Consulting Blog – This is where David Comp blogs about studying abroad – great resource
- International Trade Law News – Where Doug Jacobson blogs about news, analysis and information on export controls, sanctions, customs law, FCPA, antidumping and other international trade issues
- Investing In Africa – Ryan Shen Hoover’s blog on Africa is an interesting read
- Jack Yan – The Persuader – Jack has a strong cross-cultural background and shares a wide variety of interests on his blog
- Maidsfield Blog – Donagh Kiernan blogs about partnering into international markets
- Matthew Bennett – Matthew blogs on culture, law, business and politics in the UK and Spain, as well as the Spanish and English languages, English-Spanish translation and Spanglish Lex
- Original Wavelength - Rana Sinha’s blog on cross-cultural issues, culture, psychology, inter-cultural management and communication, international business, team-working and human resource development and management (HRD and HRM).
- Pocket Cultures – a great group of bloggers from all over the world
- Racialicious – Carmen Van Kerckhove blogs at the intersection of race and pop culture
- RW3 Culture Wizard – An interesting blog, stimulating cross-cultural skills for business
- Southeast Schnitzel – Christian Höferle blogs about cultural topics and German business
- Technicultr - Jessica Faye Carter’s blog on multicultural social media news
- Textappeal – Elliot Polak shares insights on Culture Shocks in global media and marketing
- The Art Of Nonconformity – Chris Guillebeau blogs about his travels and his cultural insights can help you open your own mindset
- The Four Hour Work Week – Tim Ferris often shares unique insights about his travels on his blog
- The Global Small Business Blog – Laurel Delaney’s blog helps small businesses go global
- The International Entrepreneur - Becky DeStigter likes to blog about international business
- Touch Points – Steve Finikiotis has extensive international business experience and often shares useful insights on his blog
- Translator Power – Amadou M. Sall is an active cross-cultural online connector and this is his blog
You can also find some more links to interesting websites on the Resources page. And if you want an easy way to connect with these bloggers, have a look at the Twitter Resources page for the links to the Twitter handles and Facebook & LinkedIn profiles for many of the bloggers listed above.
What about you? Do you have any favorite cross-cultural and international bloggers not on this list? Please share them in the comments below.
Photos from Shutterstock.
Filed under: International Social Media
If you've read this far, you should sign up to receive updates
Sign up for the International Stories newsletter, and prepare yourself to manage international business